JAMB Subject Combination for Botany
We are aware at mytopschools.com that you are searching for JAMB Subject Combination for Botany then you are not alone.
Botany, also called plant science(s), plant biology or phytology, is the science of plant life and a branch of biology. A botanist, plant scientist or phytologist is a scientist who specialises in this field. The term “botany” comes from the Ancient Greek word βοτάνη (botanē) meaning “pasture“, “herbs” “grass“, or “fodder“; βοτάνη is in turn derived from βόσκειν (boskein), “to feed” or “to graze“.
Traditionally, botany has also included the study of fungi and algae by mycologists and phycologists respectively, with the study of these three groups of organisms remaining within the sphere of interest of the International Botanical Congress. Nowadays, botanists (in the strict sense) study approximately 410,000 species of land plants of which some 391,000 species are vascular plants (including approximately 369,000 species of flowering plants), and approximately 20,000 are bryophytes.
Botany originated in prehistory as herbalism with the efforts of early humans to identify – and later cultivate – edible, medicinal and poisonous plants, making it one of the oldest branches of science. Medieval physic gardens, often attached to monasteries, contained plants of medical importance. They were forerunners of the first botanical gardens attached to universities, founded from the 1540s onwards. One of the earliest was the Padua botanical garden.
These gardens facilitated the academic study of plants. Efforts to catalogue and describe their collections were the beginnings of plant taxonomy, and led in 1753 to the binomial system of nomenclature of Carl Linnaeus that remains in use to this day for the naming of all biological species.
In the 19th and 20th centuries, new techniques were developed for the study of plants, including methods of optical microscopy and live cell imaging, electron microscopy, analysis of chromosome number, plant chemistry and the structure and function of enzymes and other proteins. In the last two decades of the 20th century, botanists exploited the techniques of molecular genetic analysis, including genomics and proteomics and DNA sequences to classify plants more accurately.
Modern botany is a broad, multidisciplinary subject with contributions and insights from most other areas of science and technology. Research topics include the study of plant structure, growth and differentiation, reproduction, biochemistry and primary metabolism, chemical products, development, diseases, evolutionary relationships, systematics, and plant taxonomy.
Dominant themes in 21st century plant science are molecular genetics and epigenetics, which study the mechanisms and control of gene expression during differentiation of plant cells and tissues. Botanical research has diverse applications in providing staple foods, materials such as timber, oil, rubber, fibre and drugs, in modern horticulture, agriculture and forestry, plant propagation, breeding and genetic modification, in the synthesis of chemicals and raw materials for construction and energy production, in environmental management, and the maintenance of biodiversity.
he Bachelor’s Degree in Botany is competitive. Knowing the prerequisites will enable you have seamless registration and also avoid unnecessary mistakes.
This page provides the following:
- Botany O’Level Subjects and Requirements;
- Botany Direct Entry Subject and Requirements;
- Botany UTME Subjects Combination;
- And other useful information that will enable you to make the right choices so that you gain admission to study Botany.
Please read the Botany programme admission requirements below carefully. If you meet the required prerequisites you may proceed with your UTME/Direct Entry registration.
PLEASE NOTE: There are variations to the requirements listed below in some universities. In that case, it’s advisable you make references to the PDF version of JAMB Brochure.
List of Universities Offering Botany
- AMBROSE ALLI UNIVERSITY, EKPOMA, EDO STATE – AAU
- ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE – ABSU
- AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY, ZARIA, KADUNA STATE – ABU
- ACHIEVERS UNIVERSITY, OWO, ONDO STATE – ACHIEVERS
- ADAMAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, MUBI, ADAMAWA STATE – ADSU
- AKWA IBOM STATE UNIVERSITY, IKOT-AKPADEN, AKWA IBOM STATE – AKSU
- BAUCHI STATE UNIVERSITY, GADAU, BAUCHI STATE – BASU
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE – BAYERO
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE – BENIN
- BINGHAM UNIVERSITY, KARU, NASARAWA STATE – BINGHAM
- UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR, CALABAR, CROSS RIVER STATE – CALABAR
- CRAWFORD UNIVERSITY, IGBESA, OGUN STATE – CRAWFORD
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY, ABRAKA, DELTA STATE – DELSU
- DOMINICAN UNIVERSITY, IBADAN, OYO STATE – DOMINICAN-UNI
- EBONYI STATE UNIVERSITY, ABAKALIKI, EBONYI STATE – EBSU
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, DUTSE, JIGAWA STATE – FED-DUTSE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LAFIA, NASARAWA STATE – FED-LAFIA
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, LOKOJA, KOGI STATE – FED-LOKOJA
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA, OGUN STATE – FUNAAB
- GOMBE STATE UNIVERSITY, TUDUN WADA, GOMBE, GOMBE STATE – GSU
- HALLMARK UNIVERSITY, IJEBU-ITELE, OGUN STATE – HALLMARK
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE – IBADAN
- IMO STATE UNIVERSITY, OWERRI, IMO STATE – IMSU
- JOSEPH AYO BABALOLA UNIVERSITY, IKEJI-ARAKEJI, OSUN STATE – JABU
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE – JOS
- KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY, ANYIGBA, KOGI STATE – KSU
- KEBBI STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ALIERO, KEBBI STATE – KSUSTA
- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE – LAGOS
- IBRAHIM BADAMASI BABANGIDA UNIVERSITY, LAPAI, NIGER STATE – LAPAI
- LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO, LAGOS STATE – LASU
- LEGACY UNIVERSITY, OKIJA, ANAMBRA STATE – LEGACY
- UNIVERSITY OF MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE – MAIDUGURI
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE – MAKURDI
- UNIVERSITY OF MKAR, GBOKO, BENUE STATE – MKAR
- ONDO STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, OKITIPUPA, ONDO STATE – OSUSTECH
- PAUL UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE – PAUL
- UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE – PHC
- SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY, OKUN-OWA, OGUN STATE – SOUTHWESTERN
- TARABA STATE UNIVERSITY, JALINGO, TARABA STATE – TSUJ
- USMANU DANFODIO UNIVERSITY, SOKOTO, SOKOTO STATE – UDU
- HEZEKIAH UNIVERSITY, UMUDI, IMO STATE – UNIHEZ
- NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY, AWKA, ANAMBRA STATE – UNIZIK
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE – UNN
- VERITAS UNIVERSITY, ABUJA, FCT – VERITAS
BOTANY AND ECOLOGICAL STUDIES
UTME and Direct Entry Requirements to Study Botany
Direct Entry Requirement for Botany:
Two (2) A Level passes in Biology/Botany/Zoology and Chemistry or Physics.
UTME Requirement for Botany:
Five (5) SSC Credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
UTME Subject combination for Botany:
Biology, Chemistry and any other Science subject.
NOTE: Kindly make references to JAMB Brochure for remarks/waiver for Botany. CLICK HERE TO ACCESS JAMB BROCHURE.
That’s the much we can take on the topic “JAMB Subject Combination for Botany ”.
Thanks For Visiting